hist-brewing: RE: Priming with honey

m_shapiro at bigfoot.com m_shapiro at bigfoot.com
Thu Jun 15 16:42:40 PDT 2000

On 15-Jun-00 BrewInfo wrote:
> I believe that you need at least 1/3
> of the fermentables to be honey to get some honey flavor/aroma and that's
> with a honey that actually has some character (i.e. not just clover
> honey).  Very light-flavoured honeys would require well over 1/2 of
> the fermentables to come from the honey if you want some honey character.

I generally make a braggot with about 50% of the fermentables coming from honey
and the other 50% coming from malt.  This generally results in good body and
mouthfeel with detectable honey.  My most recent batch, however, was much
thinner, with very little body.  I don't know why that happened.  It is still
good stuff, just different.

Marc Shapiro                                              m_shapiro at bigfoot.com
                              Visit 'The Meadery' at:
                      http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/

"If you drink melomel every day, you will live to be 150 years old,
unless your wife shoots you."
-- Dr. Ferenc Androczi, Winemaker of the Little Hungary Farm Winery