hist-brewing: Priming with honey

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Thu Jun 15 12:34:26 PDT 2000

I must concur with the others who suggested priming with corn sugar
rather than honey.  I want to add that it would take a lot more than
the amount of honey used for priming to actually get any honey aroma
or flavour into the beverage.  I believe that you need at least 1/3
of the fermentables to be honey to get some honey flavor/aroma and that's
with a honey that actually has some character (i.e. not just clover
honey).  Very light-flavoured honeys would require well over 1/2 of
the fermentables to come from the honey if you want some honey character.

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, Illinois, USA
korz at brewinfo.org
http://www.brewinfo.org/brewinfo/