hist-brewing: Newbie Questions

Robert P Davis scabrewer at juno.com
Tue Jun 13 17:28:51 PDT 2000

On 12 Jun 2000 11:33:06 -0000 "Elspeth Dowglas"
<elspeth.dowglas at scotland.com> writes:

>I would like to use mullberries, strawberries, apricots, red currants,
>and plums for wine...any dangers in using these fruits?  anything I
>should look out for?  problems I might encounter?

My experiences with fruits are as flavorings to other types of beverages,
specifically beer and mead.  In this case, one merely pasteurizes the
fruit by heating it in water to at least 170 degrees (if you wish to use
it in a secondary fermenter) or (more simply) by casting the uncooled
wort/must from the brewing kettle onto the fruit, which has been placed
in the primary fermenter.

In some beer styles (such as lambics), the fruit is added directly
(without pasteurization) to finished, green beer, and the wild yeasts and
other microorganisms present on the fruit incite a secondary
fermentation.  If you've ever had a lambic, you know that, besides wild
yeast, there is also such stuff as lactobacillus, which adds to such
beers' sour taste.

I will not opine on wine, as I have no experience whatever in the
production of fruit wines, but one imagines one could process ripe fruits
in much the same fashion as ripe grapes.  Am I wrong, anyone?

Anyway, I don't want to overstay my welcome.  Cheers!

Pax,

	-RfT

Real World: Robert P. Davis, Brewer& Historian.
SCA: Robert fitz Thomas, Scribe &  Man-at-Arms.
My Motto: Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum!