Saint Arnold was RE: hist-brewing: Mum

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at COMPAQ.com
Tue Jun 6 07:58:02 PDT 2000

>  --  June 5th is St.Boniface's Day, and he is identified as
> "a patron of
> brewers."
> Anybody know why, or who the other patron [saints] of brewers are?

St Arnold is also attributed as the Patron saint of brewers.  It's strange
that I find two separate dates for is life and death roughly 400 years
apart.

Here is what Ommegang brewery has to say:

St. Arnoul or Arnulphus
Bishop of Soissons and Confessor
Feast Day: August 15
Died: A.D. 1087

HE was a French nobleman, and had distinguished himself in the armies
of Robert and Henry I kings of France. He was called to more noble
warfare, resolving to employ for God the labor which, till then, he had
ether consecrated to the service of the world. He become a monk in the
great monastery of St. Medard at Soissons; and his example as followed
by many other persons of distinction. After he had for some time made
trial of his strength in the exercises of a cenobitic life, he formed
to himself a new plan more suitable to his fervor. With his abbot's
leave he shut himself up in a narrow cell, and in the closest solitude,
almost without any commerce with men, devoted himself to assiduous
prayer, and the exercises of the most austere penance. He had led this
manner of life three years and a half, when a council held at Meaux by
a legate of pope Gregory VII, at the request of the clergy and people
of Soissons, resolved to place him in that episcopal see. To the
deputies of the council who came on that errand, Arnoul returned this
answer: "Leave a sinner to offer to God some fruits of penance; and
compel not a madman to take upon him a charge which requires so much
wisdom." He was, however, obliged to put his shoulders under the
burden. He set himself with incredible zeal to fulfill every branch of
his ministry; but finding himself not able to correct certain grievous
abuses among the people, and fearing the account he should have to give
for others no less than for himself, he procured leave to resign his
dignity. He afterward founded a great monastery at Aldenburg, then a
considerable city, in the diocese of Bruges, towards Ostend, where he
happily died on sackcloth and ashes in 1087. Many miracles wrought at
his tomb were approved in a council held at Beauvais in 1121. His
relics were enshrined in 1131, and are still preserved in the church of
Saint Peter at Aldenburg or Oudenburg. His name is very famous over all
the Low Countries and in France. See his life written by Lizard, bishop
of Soissons, in the same century and by Hariulph, abbot of Aldenburg.
See also Sanderus, Flandria Illustrata, augmented by the canon
Foppens.; Gall. Chr. Nova. t. 9, p. 350.

...thanks to Father Mack for providing us
with this information about the patron saint of brewers.

And from St. Arnold Brewery:

THE LEGEND OF SAINT ARNOLD
PATRON SAINT OF BREWERS

Saint Arnold was born to a prominent Austrian family in 580 in the Chateau
of Lay-Saint-Christophe in the old French diocese of Toul, north of Nancy.
He married Doda with whom he had many sons, two of whom were to become
famous: Clodulphe, later called Saint Cloud, and Ansegis who married Begga,
daughter of Pepin de Landen. Ansegis and Begga are the
great-great-grandparents of Charlemagne, and as such, Saint Arnold is the
oldest known ancestor of the Carolingian dynasty.

Saint Arnold was acclaimed bishop of Metz, France, in 612 and spent his holy
life warning peasants about the dangers of drinking water. Beer was safe,
and "from man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." The people
revered Arnold. In 627, Saint Arnold retired to a monastery near Remiremont,
France, where he died on August 16, 640.

In 641, the citizens of Metz requested that Saint Arnold's body be exhumed
and ceremoniously carried to Metz for reburial in their Church of the Holy
Apostles. During this voyage a miracle came to pass in the town of
Champignuelles. The tired porters and followers stopped for a rest and
walked into a tavern for a drink of their favorite beverage. Regretfully,
there was only one mug of beer to be shared, but that mug never ran dry and
all of the thirsty pilgrims were satisfied.

Saint Arnold is recognized by the Catholic Church as the Patron Saint of
Brewers.

Regards,