hist-brewing: Mum

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Tue Jun 6 06:47:03 PDT 2000

Mum is discussed to some length in Curiosities of Ale and Beer (Bickedyke sp?), I believe it is a beer with eggs, beans, and spices and brewed with wheat.  I believe the above mentioned book has a recipe as well from the 17th or 18th c.  There is also a recipe at http://www.abooks.com/roberts/winerecipes.html from 1726, I dont know if it is the same as the one in the book.

Nate

>>> <PBLoomis at aol.com> 06/06/00 06:30AM >>>
Two new threads from my Calendar of Forgotten English for Monday, June 5th:

 --  June 5th is St.Boniface's Day, and he is identified as "a patron of
brewers."
Anybody know why, or who the other patron [saints] of brewers are?

 --  From Hensleigh Wedgwood's _Dictionary_of_English_Etymology_(1878).
     "MUM -- A kind of strong, sweet beer ... supposed to have been first
brewed by Christian Mumme of Brunswick in 1489.  But these eponymous
derivations are always suspicious, and a rational origin of the name may be
found in a different quarter.  We are informed that the exclamation mum! mum!
is used to express satisfaction with good liquor, and the expression of
admiration might easily be taken as the name of the liquor which excited the
feeling ... In the same way, it may be conjectured that the liqueur,
mentioned by our older dramatists under the name of 'hum,' took its name from
the hum which in this country was a recognised expression of approbriation."
    Anybody know anything about this?  Like which "older [English] dramatists"
used 'hum' as the name of a beer?  Or any recipe for mum or hum?  I know he's
right about hum being a 'recognised expression of approbriation.'   Burns
uses
it in his "Address To A Haggis."
    In joy and service,
    Scotti