hist-brewing: Cornish Braggot-part 1b

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Fri Jun 2 11:31:33 PDT 2000

Thank you for your input.
    The method of  carmelization you mentioned from Managier de Paris is
a long standing practice common to France and the lowlands.  The first
mention of something similar that i am aware of  is from a Northern
Bretton Braggot, circa late 1200's, recipe i copied awhile ago.  A more
complicated carmelization schedule is found in some Fresian,Saxland
(i.e. Holland) and Danish recipes.  Typically, these recipes call for a
rather complicated regimen of  boiling raw honey along with various
spices, bark and saw dust.  This boiled goo is then placed into boil pot
along with the wort or occasionally into the fermenter.
    Oh, by the way, if you make the Cornish braggot you can get great
results with carboys and oak chips.  If anyone wants the procedure i
worked out just let me know.  I'll post it if three or more people
express interest.
    Finally, i've found just about every gruit herb that i could ever
need state side so if the readership at large wants the G2 be sure to
let me know, other wise i'll just focus on other stuff.