hist-brewing: Historical Wine Sweetening

Spencer W. Thomas spencer at umich.edu
Tue May 30 07:17:56 PDT 2000

Beth Ann Snead wrote:

> But then, by definition you don't end up with wine.
> You end up with a beverage whose alcohol content is
> entirely too low to be called wine since the ale yeast
> will die much too early.

Depends on whose "definition" you are using.  According the the (US) Bureau of
Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, if it's made from fruit (or honey) it is a wine.
The alcohol content is not (to my knowledge) part of the definition.

And it is just not true that ale yeasts cannot produce a beverage of 12%
alcohol.  With proper care and feeding, they can go much higher than that.

Spencer Thomas
spencer at umich.edu