hist-brewing: Re: Brettanomyces

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Sat May 27 10:22:11 PDT 2000

"Sean Richens" <srichens at sprint.ca> writes:
>That's funny, I had always simply thought that *Brettanomyces* referred to
>Bretagne, in France (known to English-speakers as Brittany mainly to avoid
>confusion.  If you're sure of that reference, then I would say you're right.

Well, I'm not sure of my reference - it's my recollection from reading of
probably 15-20 years ago.  I do know this - Bretagne or Brittany is called
that because of the Celtic invaders from Cornwall in the 5th C AD - a kind
of reverse migration.  The brought the name with them from Britain -
Brittany apparently means "Little Britain."  The Breton language is related
to Cornish and Welsh, and there is a recent Celtic cultural reawakening
among young people rather like that in Ireland, Wales, etc.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu