hist-brewing: Historical Wine Sweetening

NeophyteSG at aol.com NeophyteSG at aol.com
Fri May 26 11:47:09 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/25/00 3:22:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
xtal at sigenetics.com writes:

> I've never been clear on why some things are ciders and some things are
>  wines

I'm beginning to think that it's just another example of not having a precise
taxonomy for fermented beverages.  It seems to depend a lot upon the
perspective of the brewer.  A braggot to a meadmaker may be a "honeyed-ale"
to a beer brewer.  Closer to home, a gallon of fermented blackberry juice may
be a cider to a cider aficionado and a primitive wine to another.

>  but I can answer your other question. Sugar was added, see Digbie*
>  for examples. There is also a sugar and lemon wine in Hess' _Martha
>  Washington’s Booke of Cookery and Booke of Sweetmeats_.

Thanks for the recipes.  My current interests and the root of my initial
question lie more toward meads and ancient, pre-"refined sugar" eras
non-grape wines.

Warm Regards,
Shawn