hist-brewing: Historical Wine Sweetening

Karen Olson kaolson3 at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 06:28:38 PDT 2000

----Original Message Follows----
From: NeophyteSG at aol.com
To: hist-brewing at pbm.com
Subject: hist-brewing: Historical Wine Sweetening
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:48:52 EDT

It's a common practice today to add sugar to "country wines," but aside from
meads and similarly honeyed brews, were historical/period "country" wines
sweetened?  Were they all-juice or did they add boiling water as is common
now?

Shawn

Well Shawn as one who does a lot more "country wines" and meads,  I have a
problem with sweetening wines at the end of fermentation.  After all its not
that hard to figure out if it will be dry, or sweet or inbetween. I do it by
tasting the fruit, and knowing how much I have on hand at the time.
Unscientific I know.

But to answer your questions I hope, the recipes I have seen in "a sip
through Time"  were both types.  I suspect it had something to do with what
equipement was available.  I admit I'm not sure, its just what I suspect.

Caitriona ignen Mairgrec
owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com