hist-brewing: stone ale part 2

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed May 24 10:42:37 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/23/00 7:20:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
euphonic at flash.net writes:

>  I admit
>  that such evidence is tenuous but I simply can't think of any reason why
>  one would "prove" malted oats.

    Very good point.  You were way ahead of me on this one.  Casts Serious
Doubt on my thoughts about the oats having been malted.  8-)

 < snip >
>      Certainly the ale does have similar characteristics to English
>  dredge ale.  Although I think that such ales derived their character
>  primarily from factors other then the mash technique. I have seen
>  recipes for Dredge ale that call for a single stage infusion mash. Which
>  makes me suspect that the long standing English superiority in malting
>  techniques is what resulted in Dredge Ale using malted oats.  The
>  Northern peoples lagged behind the English in so far as malting was
>  concerned for quite some time.  Making me think that the Vestmanna
>  recipe used unmalted or perhaps poorly malted oats.

    "Poorly malted oats" opens up whole new areas of very difficult
experimentation, doesn't it?    =O     8-)

>      Finally, I think that the most important and interesting thing about
>  this recipe and the methods used to simulate it is the mash sequence.  I
>  have noted that when one makes this ale it tastes quite different from
>  German stone beer or homemade ale versions of the German approach to
>  the general method.  I think that to a large degree this is a result of
>  the mash process and the use of poorly modified or unmodified cereals.

    Can you describe the flavor differences?
    Again, thanks from all of us.  8-)

    Scotti