hist-brewing: gruit & unhopped ales-stone ale

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Wed May 24 10:36:44 PDT 2000

    Recently Jim Adwell and Randy Mosher sent in some interesting posts
regarding the last stone ale posting.  Although i confess that i am not
familiar with Wahl & Henius's work my recent attempts at verifying
assertions made regarding oat characteristics have been confirmed in
vintage malting and brewing texts.
    Mosher was correct in stating that unmalted wheat and barley
contribute unique enhancements to the mouth feel of the ales they are
used in.  I am less sure about the notion of starch conversion being
done without heat.  Perhaps some clever reader is familiar with the
chemical issues at hand could make a more definitive ruling?