hist-brewing: Gruit and unhopped ales-stone ale

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Mon May 22 19:16:55 PDT 2000

 Steven Bernard pointed out correctly that beers using stones in the
production process are presently made commercially.  However,  the
nature of  the mash regimen, grist composition and lots of  other
factors determine the nature of an identifiable style.  To the best of
my knowledge no ale approximating the one i have started to describe
exist.  Certainly the beers you mentioned are quite different
systlistically. Well, i have not had the Maryland one you mentioned so
i'll reserve judgment on that one.
    The remainder of his recommendations are quite sound.  I have used
them self and would strongly encourage others to follow them.  I for one
have made the ale using modern equipment.  I'll cover that as well as
the actually recipe either today or tomorrow.