hist-brewing: Gruit and unhopped ales-stone ale

ulfin at mail.portup.com ulfin at mail.portup.com
Mon May 22 18:33:42 PDT 2000

PBLoomis writes:

>>         They were probably granite stream cobbles, or possibly from a
>>glacial
>> outwash plain.

Granite shattered when I tried using it on my sauna stove.  I
prefer quarzites such as agate; seems to hold the heat well (even
up to glowing [oops]) without breaking when the water is put on.

>>     I would strongly recommend that you use [non-Period] metal buckets,
>> just to avoid the water-on-hot-rocks problem.

Never, ever put hot rocks in a galvanized metal bucket; the zinc
burning off emits a toxic vapor.

>> Being scalded by steam is worse than being scalded with hot water,
>> because it contains at least 540 calories more of heat per gram.

Yeah, but it's much less efficient at transferring that heat to
your skin.  But avoiding being scalded by either is a good idea.

And Stephen Bernard <flatlander at gis.net> writes:

>    one is from germany,  they use greywac (sp) stones because they rarley
>shatter.  and this is the traditoinal rock that has been used there for
>centuries.

I read (somewhere) that Rauchenfels in Bamburg (the brewery in
Germany that makes stone beer, unless another one has popped up
in the last ten years) uses porphiry stone from a quarry in Austria.
I'll see if I can find that reference.  I'm thinking it was either
in one of Michael Jackson's books or in "Zymurgy".

Cheers,
Daniel Butler-Ehle