hist-brewing: Gruit and unhopped ales-stone ale

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Mon May 22 13:29:56 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 12:22:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
euphonic at flash.net writes:

>     Upon this lattice a few  rocks, each roughly the size of a  fist,
>  were placed. I don't know what kind of rocks were used as I know nothing
>  about geology.  The rocks were heated until they glowed with heat.

        They were probably granite stream cobbles, or possibly from a glacial
outwash plain.  Try to pick ones that have a relatively fresh appearance (not
chemically weathered or pitted).  Some of them are going to split or shatter
when you heat them that hot.  Use the big pieces, discard the rest.

> They
>  were transported to the mash tub in well soaked buckets and handled by
>  two pairs of tongs.

    Be careful that the bucket has no standing water in it.  That *will*
cause the
rocks to shatter. And wear safety goggles!!
    I would strongly recommend that you use [non-Period] metal buckets,
just to avoid the water-on-hot-rocks problem.  Being scalded by steam is
worse than being scalded with hot water, because it contains at least 540
calories more of heat per gram. Remember, pain is Mother Nature's way of
telling you that you screwed up.

> After a day the
>young ale is racked into a second set of casks along with the remainder
>of the sugared stones, more shavings and century extract where
>fermentation continues for 10 days.  The ale is racked a last time into
>casks containing woodruff and/or balm to condition for two months prior
>to consumption.

    What is century extract?  What is balm?

    Scotti