hist-brewing: oats & rye

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sun May 21 18:59:49 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/19/00 6:04:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
euphonic at flash.net writes:

>     Oh, by the way, perchance does anyone know a supplier of malted rye
>  and/or oats?

    Malted oats are available from Thomas Fawcett and Sons
<www.fawcett-maltsters.co.uk/welcom.htm>  In the U.S.A., the importer
is North Country Malt Supply, 12 Stewart Street, POBox 665, Rouses Point, NY
12979. (518) 297-2604.  North Country only sells 55 lb bags, but in addition
various Period beers that require malted oats, you can make a wonderful smooth
oat malt stout by substituting two pounds of malted oats for the flaked oats
in
your favorite recipe for oat meal stout.  Or try this one (My friends
polished off a
three gallon keg at dinner last night). I pulled down every oatmeal stout I
could find on the Cat's Meow (13 extract, 3 partial mash, 7 all-grain) and
did an eyeball
average of the grain bills and hop selections.  The result was
OAT MALT STOUT -- 5 gallons
    9 lb        2-row pale malted barley
    1/2 lb  black patent
    1/2 lb  roast barley
    1/2 lb  chocolate malt
    2 lb        malted oats
    1-1/2oz Northern Brewer bittering
    1 oz    Fuggle aroma
    Wyeast liquid Irish Ale #1084

    The rye I buy from my homebrew suppliers is malted.  I usually buy
it from St. Patrick's of Texas  <www.stpats.com>
    Tell us what recipes you're doing that need rye.  We'd love to know.

    In joy and service,
    Scotti