Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Sat May 20 07:12:22 PDT 2000

adam larsen <euphonic at flash.net>, whose recent contributions here have been
nothing less than stupendous, asks:

>I have a Cornish recipe (circa mid 1400's) which calls for an herb,
>i assume it's an herb, called "marshmallow".  For the life of me i can't
>figure out what a "marshmallow" if anyone knows i'd be grateful.

The marsh mallow, _Althaea officianalis_ L., is a native of European
marshes (naturalized in US salt marshes from Massachusetts to Virginia and
locally inland according to my old Gleason and Cronquist _Manual of
Vascular Plants_).  It is an erect, branched herb 5-12 dm in height, and is
a member of the Mallow family, Malvaceae.  _Althaea rosea L._, a closely
related plant, is the common garden hollyhock.

The confectionary marshmallow, which is now nothing but sugar and corn
starch, was originally the candied root of the marsh mallow.

>does anyone know a supplier of malted rye
>and/or oats?

Not sure how you could get it there in Sweden (that is where you are, isn't
it?), but malted rye is commonly available here in the States.  Briess
http://www.briess.com malts rye, and I'm sure others do as well.  When I
recreated my "Domesday Ale" several years ago (details should be in the
archives, wherever they are), I malted my own oats, but since I've found
that Thomas Fawcett and Sons http://www.fawcett-maltsters.co.uk/welcom.htm
produces malted oats.  Their web site has a list of agents in various
countries.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu