hist-brewing: Re: Preserving yeast

Robert Stoneman stoney2brew at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 13:42:49 PDT 2000

Preserving your yeast, where can you find how

Vol. 15. No. 4  Special Issue 1992 of "Zymurgy", page 68, author Maribeth
Rains, PH. D.
(basic) For freezing just mix equal amounts of either glycerol (1/3 cup to
2/3 cup water and boiled for 15 minutes to sterilize) OR sucrose solution
(3/8 cup cane sugar in one cup of water and boiled for 15 minutes to
sterilize) with your yeast suspension. The container should be "something
that seals tightly". Keeping time approximately one to two years.  However,
a frost-free freezer is deadly to yeast stock due to the warming and
cooling.

Robert Stoneman