hist-brewing: Gruit and unhopped ale recipes

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Fri May 5 08:08:04 PDT 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, NATHAN T Moore wrote:

> I believe Spanish Licorice is the common cultivated variety of licorice.  Wild licorice is a different plant variety that would have been more common during the period of this recipe and would be referred to as just plain licorice.  So by using commercial licorice root you are using the correct ingredient.

Caveat:  In Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, and possibly other states of the US,
there is a plant known as "wild licorice".  It does have a licorice
flavor.  It is a native North American plant.  Thus, even if there is a
European wild licorice, the wild licorice that one finds out in the wild
might not be it.

PS:  As far as I know, the American wild licorice isn't toxic, but I
never ingested it in large amounts.