hist-brewing: Gruit and unhopped ale recipes

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Thu May 4 14:39:28 PDT 2000

>licorice root as a substitute for something called Spanish licorice >which was apparently originally called for in the earlier  version of  >the recipe.  I have no idea what Spanish licorice is or how it was >used.

I believe Spanish Licorice is the common cultivated variety of licorice.  Wild licorice is a different plant variety that would have been more common during the period of this recipe and would be referred to as just plain licorice.  So by using commercial licorice root you are using the correct ingredient.

Nathi