hist-brewing: Re: Thrifty Ale Wives

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Fri Apr 28 15:41:54 PDT 2000

    Thank you for your post, it recalled similar pleasant experiences i've
had. Hence,  I've read it with great interests.
    As to your question regarding the Sykes book you may be pleased to that
efforts are afoot to republish it in a very small run.  Although the project
is in it's formative stages i thought it worth mentioning although their is
no way to prepurchase a copy yet. Unfortunately, I returned the text to it's
owner almost two weeks ago.  As a result, i can't help you with the
gardening aspects you mentioned.  It is apparent that i was mistaken to have
thought that herb cultivation was outside of the readership's interests.
    Your comments regarding the Yorkshire bar remind me of how all this
obsolete ale bother started.  Some friends of mine were headed off to see an
Ultima Thule show when we stopped off nearp Bromwitch to see a friend of
Filby's.  I As it so happened we dipped into bed & breakfast inn of sorts
for our appointment and received several wonderful varieties of  mulled and
gruit ales made by the elderly residents.  My companions provided me with an
introduction to the brewers.  Needless to say they were rather taken aback
to find that a foreigner was interested in their craft.  Over time, their
grandson, George Donnsby, became a good friend who helped me in my brewing
endeavors.
    Your other comments seem reasonable as well.
Cheers,

A.J.