hist-brewing: Gruit and unhopped ales

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Wed Apr 26 11:22:31 PDT 2000

    I've a bunch of  recipes that use wood.  Mainly, they refer to fur,
spruce, oak, juniper, cottonwood and uwe.  Your right that each wood
tastes differently,  keep in mind that weather you use wood from the
branches, trunk or bark seems to effect the flavor although i don't know
why.   As soon as i've finished going over production techniques i'll go
over individual recipes  as well as changes i've made that i think give
better results.
    As far as bitter orange is concerned i've found that placing them in
the brew pot while collecting runoff from the mash tun provides the best
results.  I'm a big fan of the use of treacle, especially in unhopped
ales, and have used tea in a method similar to what you describe with
fine results.