Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu Apr 6 15:19:55 PDT 2000

>>After all the discussion and conversions what was
>>eventually agreed upon by most people was that the
>>ratio of barley:wheat:oats are virtually 1:1:4 and the
>>recipes uses about 4 lbs of grain per gallon.
>
>Actually, it was 1:1:2.

Oops - egg on my face.  You are right.  I did brew 1:1:2, but here is what
I posted some time back:

"The monks of St Paul's Cathedral brewed 67,814 gallons of ale using 175
quarters of barley, 175 quarters of wheat and 708 quarters of oats,"  The
Domesday of St. Paul's of the Year M.CC.XX.II by William Hale Hale [sic]

Five significant figures for the gallonage is suspicious, the ratio of
pounds:gallons comes out surprisingly close to 4 (3.99+), and the ratios of
barley:wheat:oats are virtually 1:1:4.  I wonder if there was some
creative, ex post facto bookkeeping going on to make the abbott happy.  It
wouldn't have been the last time monks did this sort of thing; it's
generally accepted that Gregor Mendel did it with peas.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu