hist-brewing: measurments

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 6 13:51:39 PDT 2000

Bushels could be different.  That far back I've no information.

However, I do have some old research I did for later material:

A quarter in the early 16th century often was (and is) a unit of volume
equal to eight bushels (Zupko 1968, 1977). A bushel in the 16th century
was equal to 8 "gallons". However, these gallons were gallons of wheat,
which might not correspond to the "gallon" used for beer or for wine
(Zupko, 1968, 1977). Fortunately, an English Royal Standard Bushel measure
from AD1496 has survived to the present day. Measurements in the 20th
century showed that this bushel holds 2144.8 cubic inches (Zupko 1968) (in
contrast to the US bushel of 2150.42 cubic inches).

Zupko, R.E. 1968. A Dictionary of English Weights and Measures.
Zupko, R.E. 1977. British Weights and Measures.

Note that this makes the "wheat" gallon come out at 268 and change cubic
inches, as opposed to the modern US fluid gallon of 231 cubic inches.  Of
course, our dry gallon is larger than 231 cubic inches.