hist-brewing: Re: Malted Oats.

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu Apr 6 09:56:57 PDT 2000

At 10:50 AM -0400 4/6/00, Thomas Towey wrote:
>In your posting you imply that malted oats are now available.  Could you
>please forward me any suggestions of finding a source for malted oats.  I
>was under the impression that at this point they are only readily available
>in Great Britain.  Any help you could provide would be appreciated.  Thanks.

So far as I know, the only producer is Thomas Fawcett in England,
http://www.fawcett-maltsters.co.uk/welcom.htm.  The US  distributor is
Claude Bechard,  North Country Malt Supply, 12 Stewart St, PO Box 665,
Rouses Point, NY, 12979, 518-297-2604.  It was a pleasure dealing with him.
He sold me a 55 lb. sack directly.  I split it with other local brewers.
It also makes great oat malt stout - really smooth.  I thought my clone of
Maclay's Oatmeal Stout turned out really well (from the Real Ale Almanac -
70% pale ale, 22% malted oats, 6% roast barley, 2% choc. malt, Fuggles to
35 IBU, 1.045).

I got this information from James Fawcett on using their malted oats (and
brown and amber malt):