hist-brewing: Re: "Stale" for Braggot

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Thu Apr 6 06:51:13 PDT 2000

Thanks for the info - a good point to consider.  Do you think that
in this recipe it specifically tells you to put the "good fyn ale"
in a stone vessel to _avoid_ the brett. character that you would get
from a wooden barrel?  Seems likely to me.
I also wonder about the "iii daies or iiii" time limit.  My guess is
that the author of the recipe was telling you to let it stand until the
primary) fermentation is done, so that when you add the honey and the
fresh charge of yeast, you'll get some carbonation in the final
product, but not a gusher when you "stoppe it wel with a lynnen clooth
that noon eir come out;"
Thanks again for the further info.
         -----wade