hist-brewing: measurments

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Wed Apr 5 17:14:55 PDT 2000

"Mills, Scott" <Scott.Mills at COMPAQ.com>

>Search through the archives of this list for "Domesday"
>and you will find that there has been a lot of previous=20
>discussion about this recipe.
<snip>

>You will need to make are things like
>additional flavoring such as gruit, hops, or nothing=20
>at all.  For my redaction I grew and used Alecost as
>my brewing herb. =20

I was the one who started what turned out to be a very interesting
discussion in February, 1998.  At that time there were no available malted
oats so I malted my own.  I want to encourage folks who decide to brew this
interesting ale to follow Scott's recommendation to use additional
flavoring.  My ale is still pretty uninteresting, I think -sweet,
alcoholic, and prune-juice like.  I'm hoping it will take on some
interesting flavors with additional age.  On the other hand, it doesn't
taste so different from Sam Adam's "Triple Bock," so at least it's in the
style of what some other brewer thought was worthwhile.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu