hist-brewing: measurments

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Wed Apr 5 13:12:49 PDT 2000

> Well, first off they didn't measure in volume quarters, they used weight
> quarters. Keep in mind that the method of weighing grain was spelled out in
> the Magna Carter and the king sent weighing measures into the countryside
> to ensure that he collected the right amount of taxes.

Do you mean:

'Let there be one measure of wine throughout our whole realm;
and one measure of ale; and one measure of corn, to wit, "the London quarter";
and one width of cloth (whether dyed, or russet, or "halberget"), to wit,
two ells within the selvedges; of weights also let it be as of measures.'

Or am I missing something?

all that is doing is standardising aounts for sale, so
a width of cloth in Kent is the same as in south London.

Im not trying to be snippy.....  8)

> >Thoughts / corrections??
>
> I think that you meant 8 bushels to a quarter. A peck is 8 quarts (today),
> and I believe this hasn't changed.

Yes I mis typed, thank you for correcting my mistake.

> The bushel did vary with time and location. There are a number of bushel
> measures in a variety of London area museums. The exact measures do vary by
> up to a few percent.
>
> Different malted grains have different specific gravities. So, a less dense
> malt would have greater volume if we use the weight measure as the standard.
>

> >I know there is a varience dependant on wet or dry malt and
> >amount of swelling but we have that today anyway..
> >They did it that way, why dont we?
>
> We can, and it will turn out fine. But, if we're trying to recreate the
> brewing techniques then we need to start with the same measuring technique.
> BTW, I also see some problems with using modern malts in recreating this
> receipe since they have a different proportion of proteins etc than period
> grains.

Understood to all but we cant get the malts they used, so
we have to get as close as we can and say why we
made certian decisions..

Eric Rhude