hist-brewing: Green Apple

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Wed Apr 5 09:07:39 PDT 2000

The green apple flavor IS caused by Acetaldehyde.  It is either formed by the yeast or sometimes from oxidation or bacteria when alcohol is oxidized to acetic acid.   The first cause is the most likely, if you are getting acetic acid from oxidation it is likely you will have some more severe off flavors.  The flavor is most often formed by particular yeast strains, primarily lager, and is pronounced by poor fermentation conditions such as high temperatures, insufficient pitching rate or other factors that could strain the yeast.  Long lagering is supposed to mellow the flavor.

If you want to try this flavor buy a bottle (just 1 please) of Miller Genuine Draft, it is by far the most pronounced example I have found.

Nate

>>> "Spencer W. Thomas" <spencer at umich.edu> 04/05 9:27 AM >>>
I have had ales with a very strong green apple flavor.  So it's not
(exclusively) lager yeast.

=S

owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com