hist-brewing: Ledum Palustre Found!

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Wed Apr 5 07:11:24 PDT 2000

I'm not the one who questioned Mr. Buhner's research, but I would like
to see some more information on why he believes that the references
to 'rosemary' in gruit descriptions refers to Ledum palustre and
not Rosmarinus officinalis.  What we have here is, in fact, a nomenclature
problem.  The biggest problem I have is in books like Digby, where
he mentions putting 'rosemary' in beverages (Mr. Webb's Ale and Braggot)
and 'rosemary' in culinary recipes as well - how are we supposed to
know that he means different rosemary, if in fact he does?  Inquiring
minds want to know, and all that.
         -----wade