hist-brewing: Historical Mead Recipe

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Wed Mar 29 08:03:15 PST 2000

At 10:26 AM 3/29/2000, Marty Twombly wrote:
>Greetings all
>i am new to brewing and i was wondering if anyone had a source for period
>recipes. that they would be willing to share

Here is one of the few pre-17th century mead recipes:

German, from buch von gute speise (c.1350). Here is a translation
(not mine). I think there is another, and perhaps better, translation (of
the whole cookbook) webbed.  There is a german copy available at
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/bvgs.htm
         -----Wade Hutchison,
         Master Gille MacDhnouill in the SCA

14. Willst thou make Good Mead

He who wishes to make good mead he warms pure well water so that he can
bear to put his hand in it, and take two measures of water and one of
honey. One stirs that with a stick and lets it hang for a while and draw it
then through a clean cloth or through a hair seive into a clean vessel. And
seethe then the same wort so long a time as one needs to walk down a field
and back up it again and skim the wort with a (vensterehten--windowed?)
bowl (possibly a bowl with holes in it), so that the foam remains in and
not the wort. After that pour the mead in a clean vessel and cover it so
that the steam cannot get out so long that one can bear to put one's hand
in it. So take then a half (mezzigen--measure?) pot and fill it half full
of hops and a handful of savory and seethe that with the wort about a half
mile (for as long as it takes to walk a half mile?). And pour it then in
the wort. And take fresh yeast a half (nozzelin--nut sized piece?) and pour
it therein. Pour it among itself (stir it in? pour it back and forth to mix
it?), so that it becomes (gesschende-- foamy, effervescent, fermenting). So
cover it so that the vapor cannot get out a day and a night. Separate then
the mead through a clean cloth or through a hair seive and tun it up in a
clean cask. And let it ferment three days and three nights and fill it
every evening. After that one removes it and makes sure that yeast
(sediment--ddf) doesn't come into it. And let it lie eight days so that it
falls and fill it every evening. After that remove it into a (gehertztez)
cask and let it lie eight days full. And drink it then only six weeks or
eight so is it the very best.