hist-brewing: Mead sanitation experiment data Mar 25,2000

Jerry Harder mastergoodwine at alltel.net
Tue Mar 28 16:00:34 PST 2000

Subject:
        Mead Sanitation Update 3/19/00
   Date:
        Sun, 19 Mar 2000 23:56:55 -0600
   From:
        Jerry Harder <mastergoodwine at alltel.net>
     To:
        Calon-brew List <CALON-BREW at UNL.EDU>,
        Hist-brew list <hist-brewing at pbm.com>,
        Mead Lovers Digest <mead at talisman.com>

March 25, 2000

The following Data was collected after 3 weeks fermentation:

NOTE 1: the Brix is not accurate because the refractive index of
alcolhol + water is not the same as straight sugar water mix.
I hope to develop a correlation for monitoring purposes
because it is so much easier to take a refractometer reading
than a hydrometer one- all you need is a drop.

NOTE 2:  Sometimes I give two pH readings like 2.92/3.00
For some reason the pH of a 15-20ml sample is usually smaller
than say a 100 ml sample.  15 ml is my standard, but with
doing the FAN test it's easy to get the second, I just have to
remember.  If there is only 1 number it is of the 15 ml sample.

Note 3:  In these later data the ph difference between large
and small samples has been negligible. often it is of the larger
sample for convince sake.

6.5 gallon, pasteurized. cuvee yeast
SG 1.001
pH 3.27
FAN 110.6
Brix 9.4
TA

No sanitation,  Champagne Yeast
SG 1.012
pH 3.09
FAN 86.8
Brix 10.4
TA

Boiled Champagne Yeast
SG 1.024
pH 2.94
FAN 28
Brix 12.4
TA

Pasteurized -Set aside for aldehyde binding test
Champagne Yeast
SG 1.016
pH 3.23
FAN 105
Brix 11.6
TA

Pasteurized Champagne Yeast
SG 1.016
pH 3.17
FAN 92.4
Brix 11.6
TA

Pasteurized with Fermaid Champagne Yeast
SG 1.006
pH 3.60
FAN 89.6
Brix 10.4
TA

Distilled water no sanitation, Amsterdam Lager yeast
SG 1.050
pH 4.18
FAN 232.4
Brix 16.8
TA
The extra yeast seems to have done the trick.

Tap water pasteurized, Amsterdam Lager yeast
SG 1.070
pH 3.18
FAN 126
Brix 19.2
TA 0.19%
Seems to be getting started now.

SO2 and acid added Champagne Yeast
SG 1.026
pH 2.95
FAN 127.4
Brix 12.6
TA
SO2 @

Weight until pH drops and add SO2 Champagne Yeast
SG 1.010
pH 3.12
FAN 82.6
Brix 10.4
TA
Yeast was not killed.  Fermentation moving right along.