FW: hist-brewing: things in mead

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Mon Mar 27 00:17:10 PST 2000

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Sean Richens wrote:
>
> > My strong buckwheat mead is crystal clear, but no matter
> how much I rack it,
> > fine it, etc., it always finds something more to deposit in
> the next vessel.
> > It's a very loose, sludgy kind of deposit, resembling the
> stuff you skim off
> > when boiling honey.
> >
> > Any ideas (apart from all the possible haze precursors that
> have been
> > discussed in this thread) on what it could be?  The mead
> itself is always
> > clear after about 6 months, and this stuff just keeps on
> coming out every
> > time it is disturbed.
>

> The finest of aged vintage ports are *EXPECTED* to have a
> sediment, which
> is why one is expected to not serve them from the bottle but to decant
> them into and serve them from a decanter.  The more I learn,
> the more I
> wonder if clarity hasn't become an overrated feature.

Well, commercial beer is crystal clear (normally). 'nuff said! My best
tasting beers have always been the cloudiest. We had a pint in our local of
a medium-average 'real ale' last week that looked like the end of the
barrel, pretty cloudy (for a pub beer) but not 'off'. It tasted far better
than usual. I've stopped really worrying about clarity in beer.

Wine tends to taste better when it is clear, though...