hist-brewing: misc non-alcoholic sources

Crystal Isaac xtal at sigenetics.com
Thu Mar 16 10:00:52 PST 2000

Spencer W. Thomas writes:

> Thank you for the recipes.  They are fascinating.  Of course, most of the
> units are incomprehensible, so I'd have to guess at some of the
quantities.

I am so very sorry, I forget that some people have email without web access
and therefore no way of getting to Master Cariadoc's useful measurement
equivalents.

Anonymous. _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th Century. A Complete
Translation by Charles Perry of the Arabic Edition of Ambrosio Huici Miranda
with the assistance of an English Translation by Elise Flemming, Stephen
Bloch, Habib ibn Al-Andalusi and Janet Hinson of the Spanish Translation by
Ambrosio Huici Miranda_. ©1992 by Charles Perry. Reprinted in A Collection
of Medieval and Renaissance Cookery Books by Friedman, David (Sir Cariadoc
of the Bow) Published privately. pages A-71 to A-78

Notes on measurement from page A-78
1 ratl = 467 grams = about a pound
1 uqiya = 39 grams, about 1.33 ounces or 7 teaspoons
1 muthqal = 5.7 grams
1 dirham = 3.9 gram or 3/4 teaspoon

I'm afraid the Spanish azumbre is unknown to me as well. I've been using a
modern quart, as that makes an "ok" beverage with either the pound of honey
or the four ounces.

> However, I don't see the point of transcribing the "long s" as an "f", as
in
> the excerpt below.  It is not an "f".  It was never an "f".  It is an
> alternative form for an "s", which is no longer used in Modern English.

I must beg your forgiveness again. I've been reading too much of this stuff,
and consequently no longer see that mark as an "f".

apologetically,
Crystal

--------
Crystal A. Isaac
"...nothing, in fact, has been left untried by man." -- Pliny the Elder,
Natural History, c. 400 CE