hist-brewing: Update Master Goodwines Mead Must Sanitation Experiment

Jerry Harder mastergoodwine at alltel.net
Mon Mar 13 17:20:40 PST 2000

The following Data was collected after 1 week fermentation:

NOTE 1: the Brix is not accurate because the refractive index of
alcolhol + water is not the same as straight sugar water mix.
I hope to develop a correlation for monitoring purposes
because it is so much easier to take a refractometer reading
than a hydrometer one- all you need is a drop.

NOTE 2:  Sometimes I give two pH readings like 2.92/3.00
For some reason the pH of a 15-20ml sample is usually smaller
than say a 100 ml sample.  15 ml is my standard, but with
doing the FAN test it's easy to get the second, I just have to
remember.  If there is only 1 number it is of the 15 ml sample.

6.5 gallon, pasteurized. cuvee yeast
SG 1.047
pH 3.06
FAN 127.4
Brix 15.8

No sanitation,  Champagne Yeast
SG 1.053
pH 2.92/3.00
FAN 138.6
Brix 16.6

Boiled Champagne Yeast
SG 1.058
pH 2.75/2.79
FAN 68.6
Brix 17.2

Pasteurized -Set aside for aldehyde binding test
Champagne Yeast
SG 1.058
pH 3.00 /
FAN 149.8
Brix 17.6

Pasteurized Champagne Yeast
SG 1.056
pH 2.93 / 2.87
FAN 137.2
Brix 17.2

Pasteurized with Fermaid Champagne Yeast
SG 1.029
pH 3.42 / 3.45
FAN 86.8
Brix 13.2

Distilled water no sanitation, Amsterdam Lager yeast
SG 1.097
pH 4.89 / 4.93
FAN 284.2
Brix 23.0
NOTE This looks like a week fermentation is going.
The yeast was several years old, but the numbers
show very little movement.  I'm adding an extra half
package yeast tonight.

Tap water pasteurized, Amsterdam Lager yeast
SG 1.098
pH 5.32
FAN 315.7
Brix 23.4
NOTE This looks like a week fermentation is going.
The yeast was several years old, but the numbers
show very little movement.  I'm adding an extra half
package yeast tonight.  The higher FAN may be due
to some nutrient in the yeast packet.

SO2 and acid added Champagne Yeast
SG 1.066
pH 2.85
FAN 154
Brix 18.4
SO2 @ 10 ppm Ripper method =
about 0.8ppm molecular

Weight until pH drops and add SO2 Champagne Yeast
SG 1.054
pH 2.97
FAN 135.8
Brix 16.6
Considering pH to have dropped .09g Potassium
Bisulfite was added.  This gave about 20ppm
free SO2 (Ripper method) Which is about
1.3ppm molecular.  This may be too far over
0.8 and Kill the yeast.  We'll see. It measured about
16ppm free 10 min later. and I will check it again tomorrow.