hist-brewing: Gruit Ale Ledum Palestre

GeneDwiggins (famous digital photographer) gene at dwiggins.com
Sun Mar 12 21:15:54 PST 2000

I hope this does not duplicate news on this subject, I haven't been too
good about following this discussion.
I have a source for Ledum latifolium (Labrador Tea) which is a close
enough relative of Marsh Rosemary (Ledum palestre):
http://www.farm-online.com/taiga/lab-tea.htm
They sell it in a couple of quantities, but basically it'll cost you $15
for a lifetime supply. According to Stephen Buhner, Labrador Tea, while
being not as strong in its effects as Marsh Rosemary, is an acceptable
substitute in Gruit. The remaining ingredients are available:  yarrow
(achille millefolium) is available at my local herb outlet, and sweet
gale (myrica gale) is available in the "Brewers Garden" line of home
brew supplies. Brewers Garden is distributed by L.D.Carlson, so if your
local home-brew shop does not have it, they can get it through Carlson.

Geoffrey deWygan