hist-brewing: Re: American Classic--any commercial brewers?

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Tue Feb 29 06:45:29 PST 2000

 Joel Plutchak <plutchak at ncsa.uiuc.edu> asked me

>Have you had a chance to try New Glarus' Spotted Cow?  I think
>of that as a CAP, though I believe it is actually an ale-- IIRC
>the label calls it something like a "farmhouse ale," with the
>implication that that was what was brewed awhile back on heartland
>farms.

I have indeed, and right now as I type I am brewing an Irish Red version of
it for St. Paddy's Day.  It is an ale and underhopped for a CAP, but it
certainly bears some similarities to it, especially as it is brewed with a
neutral yeast.  I consider it a premier example of American Cream Ale,
sometimes refered to in HomeBrew Digest as Classic American Cream Ale, or
CACA.    I think the idea that it was brewed on farms is a nice one but
probably just marketing.

There was an article on Cream Ales by Ben Jankowski in Brewing Techniques
just before it folded.  Don't know if it is online or not.  I refereed it
and now for the most part I agree with it.  I disagreed with some of it
before final editing.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu