hist-brewing: Re: American Classic--any commercial brewers?

Joel Plutchak plutchak at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 28 06:23:14 PST 2000

Jeff Renner wrote:
>bjm10 at cornell.edu asked:
>> Are there any commercial (including professional craft) breweries that
>> currently produce and sell the "American Classic" lager style?

>Unfortunately, not so far as I am aware, and I am pretty well
>networked on this (see more below for my involvement with this style).

   Have you had a chance to try New Glarus' Spotted Cow?  I think
of that as a CAP, though I believe it is actually an ale-- IIRC
the label calls it something like a "farmhouse ale," with the
implication that that was what was brewed awhile back on heartland
farms.
   My only experience with CAP was at the Great Taste 1.5 years
ago.  I tried at least a half-dozen of them, and was surprised
at the range of flavor, especially hopping.  (Am looking forward
to  MCAB and the chance to try yours!)
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak at uiuc.edu>
Champaign, IL