hist-brewing: American Classic--any commercial brewers?

Eylat Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 24 21:12:56 PST 2000

Hate to tell you but the "Classic American Lager" is also Coors, Bud etc....
Barley being expensive, the earliest German brewers in the 1800's used corn and
other adjuncts in their brews.
After Prohibition, beers got lighter and lighter in color and taste.  Last year
Bud had on the market for a short time their pre-prohibition lagers using August
Bush's original recipes.
Before Gremans immigrated and started to brew, all beer were English styled ales.