hist-brewing: Question re: Documentation for SCA contests

Henry Davis henry at henry-davis.com
Thu Feb 24 15:22:18 PST 2000

At 10:28 AM 2/24/00 -0500, you wrote:

>I understand that to enter something in a contest, that you have to document
>it.

"Have to" is a bit strong of a term, but I can tell you that at the last
several Kingdom brewing competitions the difference between the winner and
runner up was documentation.

>  How do I go about this. What materials are considered legitimate to use
>for documentation?

General guidelines for Kingdom of the West:

1. a copy of the original source (you can just write it down), include
bibliographic information on the source such as where you found it, when it
was written etc
2. the translation that you used. Specify if you did the translation or you
used someone else's
3. the redaction (and why you decided to do it that way)
4. the procedures used so that someone else might duplicate your efforts
5. your assessment of how it turned out, what you learned etc.

>  How do I put the documentation together? How long should
>the documentation be?

One page of the essential information. You may add additional information
as a supplement. Generally West competitions aren't so heavily populated
that it's impossible to read more lengthy documentation - but it does happen.

>  How many sources are you supposed to use?

Whatever you can find!

>In short, I really don't understand what they are looking for or how to put
>it together.

Think of it like a school research paper with a cover page of the key
information abstracted out.

Henry (West Kingdom Brewer's Guild Chronicler)