hist-brewing: Birch sap wine recipe

Jerry Harder mastergoodwine at alltel.net
Thu Feb 24 13:39:53 PST 2000

So with all those lemons and raisins, what's the point?  Without tasting it, It
seems like it would be a lot less work just replacing the birch sap with a
little sugar in water.  I know this sounds like I am being snotty but I don't
mean it that way.  I'm really curious. I systematically avoid recipes with
raisins because they inevitably end up with the oxidized sugar flavor that all
dried fruit has.  I think if I went to all that work to collect the sap, I would
use just sap, nutrient, acid blend or tartaric acid if necessary, and sugar.
Then I would have something that taste like the sap, however subtle, instead of
lemons, raisins, or other fruit.

Master Goodwine