hist-brewing: Birch sap wine recipe

aodhfionn at unforgettable.com aodhfionn at unforgettable.com
Thu Feb 24 06:15:14 PST 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:00:49 +0100, Brokk <H940114 at stud.kol.su.se> wrote the
following:

>I finally remembered to bring the recipe with me.
>
>Birch sap wine:
<recipe snipped for bevity>

Thank You!  I had heard there was a recipe for this out there, but I'd been
unable to find it.  A few questions if I may:

Do you know what regions/time periods this wine was 'common' in?  If these times
were pre-sugar, I assume honey would have been substituted.  (Re: earlier Brix
discussions)

Does anyone know of a place I can obtain Birch sap commercially or look for it
in my area (around Houston, Tx).  I have several Birch Trees, but I don't want
to risk doing them permanent damage since I know basically nothing about tapping
a tree.

Finn mac Cormaic