hist-brewing: Honey, SG, etc.

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Thu Feb 17 16:09:13 PST 2000

Here's what strikes me as the way to deal with any sugar source of unknown
gravity:  only put 3/4 of your planned water volume and 3/4 of your planned
sugar weight into the fermenter.  Mix well, and take a specific gravity
reading.

You can then:
1)  work it out proportionally,
2)  calculate the incremental amounts of water or sugar to make the target
SG, or
3)  calculate the pts/lb/gal or whatever units you prefer, work out what you
SHOULD have added, and make up the difference with both water and sugar.

Easy.

Maybe I posted the following  somewhere else.  The two websites with
information on honey, and honey for homebrewing are:

nhb.org (note no www - lots of professional stuff here)
www.honey.com

They will give you ranges for gravity per lb, etc., and some advice which is
closer to my experience and attitude and less like what I read in a lot of
homebrewing literature.  The food science/marketing lingo is worth a
chuckle, too.

Sean Richens