Randy Mosher rmosher at 21stcentury.net
Wed Feb 16 07:03:44 PST 2000

> ------------------------------
>
> From: isenhour at uiuc.edu
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:37:22 -0600 (CST)
> Subject: hist-brewing: origin of plato
>
> I'm doing a bit of ethnomathmatics and I am trying to find out what
> degrees plato were developed for. (1 plato is about 25 SG points).  I
> found out that Ballings saccharometer (1843) calculations were
> off and this was corrected by Dr. Plato for the German
> Normal-Eichungskommision, but was this done specifically for use in
> brewing?
>
> cheers,
> isenhour

Hi, John,

The Balling scale was developed based on the percent of sucrose in a pure water
solution. This gives inaccurate readings in beer and wort for obvious reasons, the
Plato scale corrects that.

I can fax you the pages from "Development of Brewing Analysis," J.R.Hudson,
Institute of Brewing, London, 1960. I can't remember where I copied it from, but
I've got the whole book, about 100 pages.

--Randy Mosher