hist-brewing: RE:Help with brix

Barclay, Peter C. MAJ barclayp at eucom.mil
Tue Feb 15 06:23:30 PST 2000

Greetings from Master Terafan,

Polrena needed help with the calculations... and Dan provided very useful
information about where brix comes from and what it means.

Polrena, you brewing mentor is RIGHT ON THE MONEY.  The calculations below
show this

	The math should be fairly simple.  I will start with the equal
measurements...

11.5 sugar = 9 honey

	   If I want to wind up with *just* honey, I need to divide both
sides by 9 which gives me

(11.5 / 9) sugar = honey

	   Now I just multiply this fraction by the amount of sugar I am
trying to "convert" to honey

(11.5 / 9) * 5.25 = 6.71       [BINGO...The mentor was only off by .04]

	   Since the sugar was in lbs, then the quantity of honey is also in
lbs.

Since honey is *about* 12lbs per gallon, you need 8.94 cups of honey.
 128 fluid oz / 12 lbs = 10.66 oz/lb)
 10.66 oz/lb * 6.71 lb = 71.57 oz

  8 oz in a cup = 8.94 cups

respectfully,

                     Terafan

Master Terafan Greydragon           barclayp at eucom.mil
Brewer and probably other things I can't think of...
Seneschal, Incipient Shire of Blauwasser