hist-brewing: brix

Renee Peterson polrena at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 13 17:44:20 PST 2000

Please help!  I normally brew metheglins, but am attempting to delve into
the world of melomels.  Unfortunately, I'm having a slight calculations
problem.  If 11.5 brix of sugar is 9 brix of honey, and my calculations tell
me I need 5 1/4 lbs of sugar, how much honey is that?  I thought it would be
around 4.1 lbs, but my brewing mentor tells me it's much higher, around 6
3/4 lbs honey. How can this be?
11.5 / 9= 1.278, but 9 / 11.5= .75 (or there abouts.)  What's going on?

I really hope someone can help me.  Thank you.

Renee "polrena" Peterson