hist-brewing: daily stirring

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu Feb 10 06:12:24 PST 2000

brewinfo at xnet.com (BrewInfo) (Al Korzonas) wrote:
>The second comment is on "strain out."  Unqualified, this could be taken
>as running the wine through a strainer.  After 3-5 days, there is certain
>to be a significant amount of alcohol already produced and aerating
>any alcohol-containing beverate will lead to the eventual production
>of aldehydes which are generally pretty unpleasant.  Racking (siphoning)
>off the sediment with a strainer on the *intake* and not splashing the
>output of the siphon hose is the way to go.

I know we worry about this in beer, but it isn't necessarily a problem in
wines.  Traditionally, red wines are fermented on the skins (and even
stems) for a period from hours up to a week for color and tannin
extraction, at which point they are pressed with much inevitable aeration.
It doesn't seem to be a problem.

I used to make wines many years ago, but then decided that I could get only
fair-good quality grapes at best, but excellent quality malt and hops, so I
switched to beer-making.  The quality follows the ingredients, although not
inevitably.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu