hist-brewing: daily stirring/jasmine

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Wed Feb 9 11:17:00 PST 2000

Terfan wrote:
>Slice the bananas and skins, put into nylon straining bag and tie.  Put into
>1.5 qts water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 1/2 hour.  Remove pulp,
>pour hot liquor over sugar in primary fermentor, and mix thoroughly.  Stir
>in remainder of water (cold) and all other ingredients.  Add yeast when cool
>enough (85 deg or lower).   Cover primary.  Stir daily, check SG   When
>ferment reaches SG 1.040 (3-5 days) strain out and siphon wine off of

While I'm not a winemaker per se (I've made but one batch of wine), the
things that I've learned in my 13+ years of homebrewing and meadmaking
apply here...

I'd like to make two comments here.  One is on "stir daily, chek SG."
While perfectly excellent fermented beverages can be made this way, I
would like to warn that stirring is unnecessary (the yeast will find
the sugars) and increases the likelihood of infection and oxidation.

The second comment is on "strain out."  Unqualified, this could be taken
as running the wine through a strainer.  After 3-5 days, there is certain
to be a significant amount of alcohol already produced and aerating
any alcohol-containing beverate will lead to the eventual production
of aldehydes which are generally pretty unpleasant.  Racking (siphoning)
off the sediment with a strainer on the *intake* and not splashing the
output of the siphon hose is the way to go.

Just clarifying... that's all.

***

I have a question.   My friends have recently had a daughter and they
named her Jasmine.  I would like to make a mead with Jasmine flowers.
I checked Cindy Renfrow's excellent "A Sip Through Time," but Jasmine
is not mentioned.  Penn Herb carries Jasminum odoratissimum and while
I haven't read anything on the web that warns that this variety is
poisonous, there are a great many other Jasminum that are very poisonous.

There are a great many teas from the orient that are scented with
jasmine, but I would prefer to add just the jasmine and not the tea.

Does anyone know for sure (with references) that Jasminum odoratissimum
is the variety used to scent jasmine tea or that this variety is indeed
safe.

Long shot:  does anyone know how many ounces of jasmine flowers I would
use in 4 gallons of mead?  (Hey, if you don't ask...).

Thanks.

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, Illinois, USA
korz at brewinfo.org