hist-brewing: sulphites

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Tue Feb 8 20:15:23 PST 2000

While picking up 50 grams potassium metabisulphite at your local retailer
isn't exactly period, sulphites go back a long way, I'm sure to Roman times.
Earlier this century brewers were still burning sulphur candles inside
barrels as a way of leaving sulphite inside before storage, and before
racking.

Now I'm not SCA, so I take the "net-net" approach:  same net sulphite
content in the brew, and a lot less net sulphite in my lungs.

Sean Richens
srichens at sprint.ca