hist-brewing: FW: Returned mail: User unknown

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Tue Feb 8 01:23:19 PST 2000

> In a message dated 02/07/2000 4:20:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com writes:
>
> > I'm not sure what exactly causes the cloudiness in pure
> honey mead (hafta
> >  ask my commericial mead-brewing friend), but I doubt it is
> pectin (I think
> >  that only comes from fruit and veg, but wouldn't swear to
> it). In the para
> >  above I was talking about pear mead and so the pectin I
> was mentioning was
> >  from the pears, not the honey.
> >

> The haze in an unboiled mead is albumin proteins. Boiling
> coagulates them,
> allowing them to settle out. Finings, like Irish moss, help
> that. There is no
> pectin in honey.

LOOK!! can I just state again that I NEVER EVER SUGGESTED THERE WAS PECTIN
IN HONEY!!!! I don't think there is. I never have. Any uncertainty expressed
in the quote above was just yer standard scientific arse-covering. Admitting
that I hadn't actually checked any reference texts but was just going by
what I had in my head. I'm unlikely say I'm 100% certain of anything.
Philosophically/scientifically that is an impossibilty - absence of proof is
not proof of absence. i.e. just because haven't encountered a honey with
pectin (naturally included) in it yet but that does not PROVE that it does
not or cannot exist. All we can say is that there has been none in any we
have so far found.

thank you, everybody for staying with me on that rant. Just wanted to make
that clear - back to the beer (mead/wine etc).

KP